Bariatric Surgery Process in Turkey
Obesity is determined when the BMI (Body Mass Index) is higher than 30. All operations that aims to cure obesity, lose weight, and eliminate the metabolic disorders is under the category of Obesity operations.
Obesity operations, is the name for all operations that performed for the prevention of metabolic disorders and to lose excess weight. By obesity operations, you can get rid of excess weight and the resulting diseases that threatens people’s lives. This procedure is done in Turkey with a high success rate, especially in Istanbul.
Who Can Undergo Bariatric Surgery?
Obesity operations in Turkey are suitable for people who suffer from excessive obesity (people with BMI more than 40), people who cannot lose weight through sport or diet or other medical methods, and people who gain weight so fast after losing it. People who suffer from these conditions are not suitable for this operation:
- Sleep Apnea,
- Type 2 diabetes,
- High blood pressure,
- High cholesterol level,
- Chronic knee, waist and joint pain.
We feel free to share some feedback from our honorable Patients
Selecting The Hospital And The Surgeon
The success rate of bariatric surgery is related to the hospital and the surgeon. The surgeon should be experienced, and has done it successfully before. In order to get this information, you have to check patients reviews on the operations. Bariatric Surgery is done in Turkey with a high success rate, especially in Istanbul, because it has the successful hospitals and medical tourism programs.
Before Bariatric Surgery
The doctor should run blood tests for the patient, in this operation we advise you to:
- Inform your doctor if you have an allergy to any material and if you have any chronic disease,
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol six months before the operation,
- The doctor might give other instructions depending on the patient’s condition.
Bariatric Surgery Techniques and Duration
Some Bariatric Surgery Operations in Turkey works on closing the stomach, the other operations aims to apply adjustments on the digestive system.
1 – Gastric Balloon: This procedure is done using the endoscope with no need for general anesthesia, an adjustable balloon is placed in the stomach. With this technique, the patient will feel the stomach full because of the balloon. The patient will lose weight because of eating small amounts of food.
2 – Gastric Band: This procedure is done by placing a silicone tape between the esophagus and the stomach, it is finished by opening small incisions with the endoscope, and the recovery process is fast.
This procedure provides a very effective solution, by making the patient feel full, which leads to weight loss as with Gastric Balloon. Therefore, in 18-24 months, the patient can lose 60-80% of excess weight.
Bariatric Surgery Techniques and Duration
3 – Gastric Sleeve: In this technique, the stomach is minimized by removing the responsible part about hunger hormone excretion. As in Gastric Band technique, the recovery process is fast in this technique and the patient can leave in the same day. Thanks to this technique, patients will feel full stomach and consume less amounts of food, so they will lose weight with no effort. It is possible to lose 80-90% of excess weight, especially in the next couple of years after the procedure.
4 – Gastric Bypass: In this technique, a large part of the stomach is connected to the small intestine, which leads to a smaller stomach. No external objects are inserted into the body in this technique. The Gastric Bypass technique makes the absorption of food less, which leads to weight loss.
The duration of this procedure varies depending on the applied technique and the patient’s condition. Generally, it takes a few hours. The best technique for the patient can be determined by tests.
After Bariatric Surgery
Patients should consider these points:
- Even if this procedure gives effective results for patients, the patients need to support these results by following a healthy diet and a sporty lifestyle. The dietitian will give you detailed information about the diet you should follow.
- During the recovery process, the doctor may prescribe nutritional supplements, vitamins, and minerals for the patient.
- You should consume easy-digesting food after the operation. Especially protein-rich foods.
- You should walk because walking helps the blood flooding.
- After the operation, some patients might need to follow a diet based on liquids. After a couple of weeks, they can eat normal food.
- Stop drinking alcohol, it affects the whole procedure negatively, especially the first six months. Avoid sugar because it affects the recovery process, and coffee. Instead of these, you should consume a lot of water.
Patients will have a beautiful appearance with weight loss and will feel so light while moving.